Since I’m looking at data, what is the effect of calories one day on weight the next day? Here’s the chart of calories vs weight change the next day.
Some observations about the data.
- The vertical axis is weight change the day after.
- The horizontal axis is calories eaten the day before the change.
- Calories in and weight increase out seems to work.
- My crossover point seems to be around 2450 calories. That’s pretty close to the Cronometer estimate of what I am expending.
- Next day increases are exaggerated versions of calories consumed. I went out to Red Robin last night and had three big plates of the salad bar. This morning I went up 3+ lbs. There’s no way I ate 10,000 calories at the salad bar, but I believe I could have 3 lbs of veggies in my system.
This confirms calories in and calories out on some rough level. It’s not simple and the error bars of uncertainty are huge, but taken together it shows that if I eat more the the 2450 calories I gain weight and if I eat less I lose weight.