Since then, Jimmy had Dr Ted Naiman (burnfatnotsugar.com) on his program and Dr Ted told Jimmy about eating more protein (Episode 7). Jimmy took the challenge and did the diet for a week. He then had Dr Ted back on his program (Episode 11) and debriefed after the diet.
Jimmy complained repeatedly and bitterly (and in the show notes) that he:
I was tempted to take Jimmy seriously and not assume that he’s being a drama queen here. My mistake.
The misused word is “hypoglycemia”. And by full blown, who knows what Jimmy means. But apparently Jimmy had nothing of the sort. Jimmy’s wife admitted such:
No, Mrs. Jimmy. As Allison points out, 80 is not anywhere near hypoglycemia. Not at all.
From the Mayo Clinic website (Hypoglycemia – Symptoms & causes):
Immediate treatment of hypoglycemia is necessary when blood sugar levels are at 70 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) or 3.9 millimoles per liter (mmol/L) or below.
Now, as anyone who has been keto for any period of time knows 70 isn’t all that low to a person who eats keto. I’ve been lower many times with zero ill effects. Here’s 30 days where I was low with no issues (red dots).
The problem for Jimmy is that he felt like crap when his sugar got to a normal level. He’s been so used to being higher for so long that being normal feels bad. I know. I was there. When I was high I felt good being high and felt like crap near 100. But that’s a sign of me being messed up.
[2018-07-11] Jimmy says that he’s used to being much lower when he fasts. Sounds like it was the slope that was the problem. He also said his blood sugar dropped at 90-120 minutes. Sounds like his Insulin overshoots in the secondary phase.
Angus Barbieri did a 382 day fast and his blood sugars were regularly in the 30’s with no ill effects. That’s what the ketones do for you.
Jimmy’s Learned Lessons
Hopefully Jimmy will take the time to absorb what he has learned.
- Jimmy now knows that protein doesn’t raise blood sugar. This invalidates nearly everything Jimmy has said about the ketogenic diet to this point in time.
- Jimmy never left ketosis in spite of the higher protein diet. This invalidates nearly everything Jimmy has said about the ketogenic diet to this point in time.
- Jimmy’s blood sugar dropping makes Jimmy feel like crap. Proof beyond his weight that Jimmy is not yet healthy.
- Jimmy’s fasting insulin before the experiment is contrary to Jimmy’s previous claims. Jimmy isn’t going to get thin without dealing with the high fasting insulin.
- Eating protein raises Insulin while it is disposing of the protein but net drops fasting Insulin levels.
- Jimmy’s fasting Insulin dropped (from 14.2) to almost half by day 5 of the experiment (8.8). So while protein causes insulin secretion it also averages out lower. Jimmy’s after reading was after his fat refeeding and rebounded to 25. Proof positive that Jimmy’s overeating fat is causing his high fasting Insulin. Jimmy needs to cut down on eating fat.
- Dr Ted told Jimmy to eat 20-30 g of carbs a day and Jimmy didn’t. Jimmy went full blown carnivore and felt like crap. Any adaptation phase makes people feel like crap with any diet.
- Jimmy should have followed the PSMF protocol by eating green leafy veggies like a ton of broccoli. The extra fiber and small amount of carbs will buffer the protein ingestion.
- Jimmy ate 125g of protein in one sitting. Jimmy should limit protein to between 30 and 50 grams at a sitting. Eat it in lean meat. Anything beyond 40 grams is just wasted calories.
- Jimmy was actually burning body fat since his ketones were up on high protein.
- Even Jimmy’s doctor friend (John Limansky MD) had a gain of LBM in spite of being very lean (70 kg of body weight, at 8-10% Body Fat) to start with.
Time for try #2 Jimmy. We all want to see you get well.
(2018-06-05 CarbSane has an alternate hypothesis – Bio-HACK-ing Chronicles Ep.2: Maybe Jimmy Moore Has Hepatic Encephelopathy).